Monday, March 10, 2008

documentary: A Letter to a Boy from His Mother

documentary: A Letter to a Boy from His Mother

why Jonathon..I was so happy to get a response to my blog - so thanks for that (it hardly ever gets a response;  my daughter says: "well Mum, it's because it's so boring like your films." ) And then, the only response I get from you is navigational advice for the poor user who doesn't realise that the link is always in the header of each post I write! I must say I'm more interested in what you think of Tilda's essay than navigational advice...maybe it was irony.....By the way, what do you feel about Tilda's essay?

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to raise your hopes only to dash them, Jeni. Now of course I can see that the information about clicking on the title of each post is unmissably there in your side panel. What I should have made explicit in my comment was my immense gratitude to you in particular for pointing us to Tilda Swinton's brilliant piece, and in general for your seriously un-boring blog. (We Australians, including me, haven't yet got the idea of making short approving comments on each other's blogs, so we, the bloggers, have to take it on faith that we're talking to someone.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, i am pleased for any comment, so navigate on Reader. My Mum used to say 'any old rag will do', but I don't want to swing to the other extreme - nor do I want your immense gratitude - and that's a bit rich. now you're really sending me up... this irony blogging....nor am I seeking approving comments, I've been on the couch too long for that...no Navigator...just discussion of ideas and some light and dark along the way.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I wasn't being ironic, or at least not very. I've loved Tilda Swinton's work as an actor, but never read anything she's written. I found her talk exhilarating, not only for what she says but for the naked and unprotectedly personal way she says it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. Recently I read a review on a new exhibition on Derek Jarman (including 'Derek' a film about him that Swinton narrates). It mentioned one of her 2002 essays 'Letter to an Angel.' Finding that essay led me to 'A Letter to a Boy.' And now, for me, this other Swinton emerges - a philosopher and a poet- what a pleasure....
    I've put the link to Angel in today's post.

    ReplyDelete